Day One:
The Flight
The ride to the airport was kind of sobering. Here I am on the wake of my first trip out of the country and I have no idea what to do when I walk into the airport doors. So of course, like rookie traveler, I step into line just like everyone else. One hour and fifteen minutes later I finally arrive at my departing terminal. Then it hits me, I am about to embark on an 11 hour trip. The longest I have ever traveled has been about 5 hours to NYC or DC, so I am not sure how this whole thing is gonna go.
Since work is footing the bill, business class is how we roll, so in this case its first class up at the front. I skip through all of the self paying customers to the front of the boarding lines. I quickly find my seat next to a pretty good looking mid-30s Asian woman, who turned out to be somewhat moody, but was also travelling to
Let me tell you, I don’t know that I can handle flying coach again now that I have been spoiled with this first class treatment. Before I can even get my bags settled, I am greeted by a decent sized glass of champagne, which I promptly down to take the edge off a bit. After getting the important stuff out of the way, I start to check out the digs for my 11 hour flight. Nice pillow, blanket, and….menu? “I’ll take the risotto and chicken breast,” I tell the stewardess as she is taking orders for dinner. I am pleasantly surprised with the selection, and am looking forward to the ice cream after dinner and some breakfast in the morning. In a side pocket next to the seat, I found a bag with a ton of stuff in it, most notably, a new pair of socks, which have replaced my shoes for the rest of the flight. What a great idea! I can now take off my shoes without worrying that I will stink up the place with my Jays off! Geniuses! Also in the bag is some lotion, a toothbrush and toothpaste (thankfully), some face wash, and an eye mask. In addition to all of this luxury, I am getting lit up by the never ending glasses of Malbec (an Argintinia red wine) that seem to keep being poured and constant refills of some kind of really good nuts (they are warm and look like cashews, peanuts, and some other brown stuff).
Seriously, could life be better at this moment? The only way this could be topped would be if I had someone special to enjoy it with.
Dinner was pretty good, in fact, it is probably better than anything I will end up cooking in the work apartments on this trip. The starter was a house salad with some kind of Asian vinaigrette an a duck confeit with soba noodles and another kind of thai peanut dressing. It was interestingly good. It was a mushroom risotto with a good sized chicken breast and some potato like vegetables. The ice cream was good, but nothing special with a scoop each of vanilla and chocolate. I passed on the coffee to try to get some rest, and it definitely worked as I slept for about 7 hours I guess. I woke up to the lights on and us landing.
Day One:
My first stop in Europe is in Frankfurt where I can get my connecting flight to
Day One:
Man driving in
It’s about 9pm over here, and I just got all settled and my clothes unpacked but I’m starving! So I’m going to talk a walk and try to find something to eat.
EDIT: Pics from the walk.
The McDonald's that saved my life tonight.











1 Comments:
Sorry flying first class. I love Malbec. My favorite wine. Glad you got there safe and will be checking the blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home